PETRA was tasked with producing an R&D manifesto to look at how trade and investment agreements could be used to address non-communicable diseases. The manifesto identifies three themes for future research:
- looking at the relationship between trade and health.
- supporting current policy objectives
- using research tools of modelling, case studies, and multidisciplinary analysis.
Following an independent expert appraisal, this third edition looks at how the manifesto can be used to address health inequalities. The research questions have been regrouped under the issues of:
- Trade governance
- Impact on regulatory environment
- Wider determinants of health